Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1 Corinthians 13:4-5
If you are unsure whether or not your ‘Charity’ meter is working (e.g. you are growing in it or out of it), test yourself against the above audit statements. 😊
In yesterday’s email, we discussed attributes and gifts that one can have and still, strangely, be missing ’Charity’.
Today, we look at some of the qualities of Charity:
1. Suffers long. Long suffering, to some, is simply a term.
2. Is kind. This means, all the time, in season and out of season, not just when we feel like it.
3. Has no envy…is ever content with such things as the Lord has provided…always
4. Vaunteth not itself. Never seeks it’s own glory.
5. Is not full of pride or even a little bit of hot air (puffeth up), e.g. blowfish-itis. nor are they ‘proud’ of their humility
6. No unseemly behaviour. Meaning, it does not run hot and cold, but the temper, the mouth and the body are ever controlled under the power of the holy spirit.
7. Seeks not her own. Eyes are always on others’ woes and what one can do to alleviate their pain or promote their growth.
8. Not easily provoked. The mud in their lake is nowhere near the top, where a simple stirring can bring it quickly to the surface.
9. Thinks NO evil. This means, every thought, good and bad, is brought under subjection…e.g. put aside for a few seconds for review. It is then examined by the owner, and the evil thoughts are discarded before they take root.
9 is the number for finality…